What are the symptoms of TMJ/TMD?
TMJ/TMD can cause intense pain and discomfort. The pain can either be temporary or last for many years. Also, the pain may either be localized to one side of the face or affect both sides of the face. TMJ/TMD disorders are a more common occurrence in women than men and are commonly present in patient between 20 and 40.
TMJ/TMD presents itself through the following symptoms:
* Discomfort/unease when opening the mouth wide
* Pain or tenderness in face, mouth, jaw, neck, shoulders during chewing, speaking or opening of mouth
* Locked or stuck jaw in close or open mouth position
* Tired/fatigue feeling in the face
* Abnormal sounds such as clicking, popping or grating in the jaw joint during jaw movement when the mouth is opened/closed
* Swelling on the side of face
* Problems chewing or uncomfortable bite
* Shoulder Pain
* Tinnitus/Hearing problems