Orthodontics, is a specialist branch within the practice of dentistry that corrects and treats malpositioned teeth and jaws.
Orthodontic treatment may be indicated for people suffering from:
* Overbite - Otherwise known as "Buck Teeth" (which may have come from the adult males of some animals, eg. rabbits), overbite occurs when the upper teeth protrude excessively and extend too far forward and overlap the lower teeth
* Underbite - A "Bulldog" appearance, underbite occurs when the lower teeth protrude excessively and overlap the upper teeth or the upper teeth are too far back
* Crossbite - Crossbite occurs when there is lateral misalignment of teeth (eg. the upper teeth falling behind the lower teeth when the teeth are bitten down). It can occur unilaterally (one side) or bilaterally (two sides) in the anterior (front) or posterior (back) region of the mouth
* Open bite - Open bite occurs when the upper teeth and lower teeth are angled outwards, such that a space is created when the teeth are bitten down
* Midline Asymmetry - Midline asymmetry occurs when the midline between the upper teeth and the lower teeth is misplaced and either the upper teeth or lower teeth is displaced to one side
* Crowding and Spacing - Both of these dental conditions relate to the space available for teeth in the mouth. For crowding, there is too little space to accomodate all the teeth, which can cause teeth to be displaced or twisted. For spacing, there is too much space, which can cause gaps between the teeth